- Miscellaneous Licensing Fees and Charges - 2013-14 (0.39 Mb)
- Acupuncture, Tattooing, Semi-Permanent Skin Colouring, Cosmetic Piercing and Electrolysis Practitioner Application Form - August 2012 (0.04 Mb)
- Acupuncture, Tattooing, Semi-Permanent Skin Colouring, Cosmetic Piercing and Electrolysis Premises Application Form - August 2012 (0.04 Mb)
Skin Piercing and Beauty Treatments
Acupuncture, ear-piercing, electrolysis and tattooing
Before someone can carry out acupuncture or the business of tattooing, ear-piercing or electrolysis in the Brentwood Borough, they need to be registered with the Council.
How to Apply
Please print off and complete the application forms available at the bottom of this web page.
The Council has adopted byelaws to ensure the cleanliness of premises and the sterilisation of equipment used in these procedures which involve piercing the skin.
Premises are inspected by Environmental Health Officers to ensure that the standards are complied with.
A list of businesses registered to carry out acupuncture, tattooing, ear-piercing or electrolysis is available from the Town Hall or by calling 01277 312504.
You are not required to register with the Council for procedures that do not involve the piercing of skin. Examples of which are provided below:
- sun beds
- leg waxing
- eyelash tinting
- spray tanning
- nail extensions
Essex County Council are the authority responsible for the issuing of Massage and Special Treatment licences such as reiki, reflexology and kinesiology. For further information please go to the Essex County Council website.
Further information can be found in 'Body Art, Cosmetic Therapies and Other Special Treatments' published by the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health ISBN 1-902423-80-1. This covers the different techniques and therapies (listed below), guidance on best practice for infection control for practitioners and a summary of the legal framework in the UK.
- Body art
- Ear piercing
- Electrolysis and beauty therapy
- Water treatments
- Colon hydrotherapy
- Massage therapies and lifestyle consultations